All staff members of a retail business are integral to its success, as they each carry out vital roles and responsibilities necessary to keep the organization running smoothly. Therefore, hiring qualified and reliable workers to fill your retail roles is essential for all positions, including the store retail clerk.
Are you looking for a high-quality retail clerk staff member to support your retail business? If so, you have come to the right place. This resource will help you design an eye-catching and informative job description that accurately describes your open role so that your business can attract the right worker for the job.
What is a Store Retail Clerk?
A store retail clerk is entrusted with carrying out processes and tasks that support the success of the overall retail business. However, these professionals can hold many job responsibilities and duties, depending on the company that they work for.
Often, store retail clerks help their organizational team members by assisting customers with making register payments, selecting products, and answering questions about the business and its merchandise. While supporting customers and processing business transactions are the key purposes of this role, store retail clerks may also be assigned tasks like stocking products, managing inventory, and processing deliveries.
What You Should Include in the Store Retail Clerk Job Description
Creating a well-written store retail clerk job description is perhaps the most important step you can take to secure a high-quality candidate for your open position. A retail business is only as good as the staff members that support it, so hiring qualified workers through an effective job description is key! But of course, this is only possible if your store retail clerk job description contains the correct information that accurately depicts the role. Within the following section of this resource, we will go over the vital parts of a job description that should always be included when looking for a store retail clerk.
The first section of your job description should introduce your readers to the open position. For a store retail clerk role, this means providing a general overview of the job. Providing this information to readers upfront helps prospective employees figure out whether the position being offered is suitable for them immediately.
The responsibilities section of the job description should answer the question: what does a retail clerk do? The information you provide should give a more in-depth view of the store retail clerk’s job duties and role requirements. Therefore, list all of the duties and tasks your candidate will be expected to carry out in their role, should they be hired for the store retail clerk position. It is imperative, however, to provide information in this section that communicates a truthful representation of the role at hand.
Skills and Qualifications
Within this section, you can list the skills and qualifications that your ideal worker would possess for their role as a store retail clerk. As you write this section, consider all of the responsibilities that the store retail clerk role would entail for your business and the background qualities that a worker should possess to carry them out successfully.
Additionally, it can be helpful to split this section into lists of “required” and “desired” skills and qualifications, depending on whether you find them to be essential requirements for a store retail clerk to possess to support your business.
Salary and Benefits
The salary and benefits section should entice readers to the idea of applying for your open role. Therefore, you should always include all the salary and benefits information when advertising a store retail clerk position. This can consist of general salary information, like pay rates, and any other perks related to the job, like paid time off, holiday parties, or employee discounts.
The company overview section provides you with the opportunity to introduce your reader to your business. Including some information about the company within this section can be very useful to have in your store retail clerk job description, as the potential employee reading it will be able to understand how they would fit into your business and your company’s vision.
Store Retail Clerk Job Description – Template
A well-developed job description is critical for retail employers recruiting for the store retail clerk position. Therefore, we have provided you with an additional aspect of this resource to help you curate your own store retail clerk job description.
Below is a purpose-built template for a store retail clerk job description that includes examples of information that is commonly found in job descriptions for this role. You may use this template as is or adjust the information so that it is relevant to your open position.
Developing your job description by using this template should result in the right candidate for your store retail clerk role!
Store Retail Clerk Job Summary
The Store Retail Clerk will perform various support services, including acting as a point of contact for customers, addressing customers’ questions, stocking shelves with merchandise, maintaining inventory, and ensuring that the retail store has a presentable, orderly environment. Additionally, the store retail clerk will assist the store manager in training new hires for seasonal retail jobs when appropriate to ensure they are well informed. Overall, they will perform duties necessary to maximize profitability and teamwork for the store and to ensure a positive shopping experience for customers.
Store Retail Clerk Responsibilities
- Store retail clerk will meet the store’s daily needs in stocking, sorting, and displaying merchandise in order to ensure maximum sales and product availability.
- Performs job duties in a manner that is consistent with the hiring organization’s core values and mission.
- Attends all mandatory departmental meetings, and any necessary training programs in order to stay informed of any new developments affecting the organization and its products and services.
- Performs all necessary tasks involved in cleaning and improving the functional area within their store department.
- Upholds respectable, effective, consistent lines of communication with their supervisor and fellow staff members.
- Serves store clientele by greeting store visitors, assisting customers with products, suggesting products to patrons, and answering their questions about the store, its merchandise, and our mission.
- Support store guests by performing cashier duties like carrying out sales transactions, performing price checks, assisting with product replacements, processing customer requests, and ascertaining each customer’s wants or needs.
- Manages inventory and sorts merchandise stock by aisle, loading products onto a cart or pallet in a stable manner and transferring them to their proper aisle for stocking
- Ensures correct placement of merchandise within the store, rotates and positions products as required, and handles merchandise carefully to avoid damage.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of current sales and promotions policies regarding payment and exchanges, and adheres to all of the store and department policies and procedures.
Store Retail Clerk Required Skills
- To successfully perform the essential functions of the store retail clerk job, candidates must be able to stand for extended periods; walk; stoop; kneel; climb; bend, crouch and balance; use their hands to hold, handle, or feel, and reach with hands and arms.
- The store retail clerk is required to possess the ability to add and subtract two-digit numbers and to calculate a discount % amount and must be able to perform these operations using units of American currency.
- All qualified store retail clerks must be willing to complete all necessary Company training which may include but is not limited to a new hire orientation, customer service skills training, store safety training, customer service clerk technical skills training, and floor monitor technical skills training.
- Qualified candidates need to possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and have the willingness to work with the team to increase customer satisfaction and sales.
- The Store Retail Clerk must possess the ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and information in English, as well as the ability to write simple correspondence in English.
Store Retail Clerk Qualifications
- Candidates should be committed to delivering exceptional quality and service in order to create an outstanding customer experience.
- Applicants are expected to possess and maintain a high level of knowledge related to the store, including the store’s merchandise, mission, and all related areas of expertise.
- Qualified candidates for the store retail clerk position must possess interpersonal skills and be able to work well with others and inspire others to achieve their best.
- Staff members of our organization must welcome feedback, be open to suggestions from others, participate in discussions as necessary and accept change.
- All qualified candidates should possess professional experience with sales assistance and knowledge of register systems.
Store Retail Clerk Benefits
A competitive salary with a pay range starting at $15 – $19 an hour.
Excellent compensation package which includes excellent benefits such as:
- Dental Insurance Plans
- Employee discounts on store merchandise purchases
- Health Insurance Plans
- Paid time off for sick leave and vacation leave
- Vision Insurance Plans
- Dependent tuition reimbursement
- Convenient location accessible by public transportation
- Full-time positions or casual (part-time) positions of 14 work hours per week with flexible work schedules. Day shift positions can be scheduled to take place from 12:30 PM – 5:00 PM.
- Excellent growth potential for higher-level positions, and advancement opportunities for high performers
- Additional financial incentives are available for responsibilities involving pop-up store events and driving.
- A great working environment where you’ll be supported by a team of professionals
- Health Ancillary Plans
- Health Savings Account
- Company-paid Life and AD&D
- 401K Retirement Savings Plan
- 401K matching
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Paid training
- Parental leave
Looking to Hire Store Retail Clerks? Try Adia!
A well-constructed job description can set your retail business apart from the crowd to attract high-quality applicants for your store retail clerk position. By including essential information that accurately represents your company and position, your readers will gain all of the knowledge they need to determine whether the role is right for them.
Ensure that you provide a general overview of the job. Additionally, list the responsibilities and tasks that your candidate will be expected to carry out in their role, give details on the requirements and qualifications your ideal candidate should possess, and include an overview introducing the reader to your company. Additionally, listing information about compensation and benefits will help your job description stand out to potential applicants!
If you would like to experience a streamlined talent acquisition process, consider using the Adia on-demand staffing platform. Adia’s onboarding solution works similarly to a retail staffing agency, as it connects employers with qualified job seekers. Whether you’re looking for Chicago temp agencies or New York City staffing solutions, Adia can match employers to trained workforce professionals across the country. So visit Adia online at https://adia.works/ to see how the staffing platform makes it easy to hire customer service employees for your retail positions!