Any hospitality company owner knows that running a successful business largely relies on the staff and their customer service. While workers keep business operations running smoothly, providing high-quality customer service is the key to gaining a competitive edge and attracting new clients.
Unless your employees are seasoned professionals, your hospitality staff members could benefit from fine-tuning their customer service skills through regular hospitality training. In fact, even seasoned professionals can benefit through employee development by brushing up on their hospitality knowledge. Read on to learn more about how investing in a hospitality training course for your staff can help them take your business to the next level!
What is Hospitality Training?
So, what is hospitality training? Hospitality training is the process of teaching staff members in order to increase their skills and knowledge of providing top-notch customer service. Hospitality training can be provided to teams either in-person or online and will cover essential hospitality training topics.
Why Is Training in Hospitality So Important?
Training in hospitality is important for teaching staff members the best practices and behaviors for accommodating their business’s customers. Since hospitality businesses rely on their staff to provide positive guest experiences, these courses can be highly beneficial!
Happier customers equate to more business, and that customer satisfaction starts with the staff. An accommodated customer is a satisfied customer, so training your employees to provide quality customer service can lead to more business for your hospitality establishment.
What Topics Should Be Covered?
Hospitality training courses can cover various subjects related to customer service. Commonly featured topics included within these courses can differ, depending on the hospitality sector the course pertains to. There are four main sectors within the hospitality industry, each of which has slightly different needs when it comes to training. Therefore, be sure to sign your staff up for a training course designed for your hospitality sector to receive the most value from the training!
The four main hospitality sectors include Food and Beverage, Accommodation, Travel and Tourism, and Entertainment and Recreation. Take a look below to learn more about the topics that are covered in their hospitality training courses.
Must-Have Topics For Food and Beverage Hospitality Training
The most important topics that should be covered during hospitality training for the Food and Beverage hospitality sector include:
- Food Protection
- Food Handling
- Alcohol Safety
- Allergen Safety
- Guest Etiquette
- Bartending Fundamentals
- Maintaining regulatory or compliance documentation.
- Maintaining Operational Records.
- Managing Inventories of Products and Resources
- Resolving Customer Complaints or Issues
These topics are vital for Food and Beverage businesses, as they can help staff members know exactly what to do to ensure customers’ safety and comfort in situations that may occur during their roles. For example, a food and beverage course would help staff members maintain healthy food-handling practices to avoid hazardous occurrences like cross-contamination. This knowledge is essential for workers within this sector to protect customers from food-borne illnesses.
If you are looking for a pre-qualified staff member to support your food and beverage hospitality establishment, consider hiring through Adia. Adia’s on-demand staffing solution helps business owners hire pre-vetted restaurant staff members quickly and easily!
Must-Have Topics For Accommodation Hospitality Training
The accommodation sector also requires staff members to have hospitality training in specific topics. The following is a list of the most vital topics that should be discussed during hospitality training for the accommodation sector.
- Guest Service
- Cleanliness and Housekeeping
- Hospitality Management
- Guest Experiences
- Guest Etiquette
- Meeting Guest Needs
Accommodation business staff members must have hospitality training in these subjects. Without proper knowledge in these areas, workers may fall short in preparing and maintaining a high-quality environment for guests.
Alternatively, an accommodation business owner could ensure the appropriate knowledge of their staff by sourcing talent through Adia’s hospitality staffing solution. Through the Adia platform, employers can connect with pre-trained hospitality workers available for hotel staffing within their area.
Must-Have Topics For Travel and Tourism Hospitality Training
The travel and tourism sector can cover hospitality training should consist of the following essential topics.
- Travel Services and Experience
- Restaurant, Food and Beverage Services
- Accommodation tourism
- Recreation and Entertainment.
- Providing event information to patrons
- Responding to customer inquiries
- Guiding patrons on tours
The travel and tourism sector comprises several hospitality elements, including transportation, accommodation, food and beverage, and entertainment. Therefore, training in these subjects is necessary for travel and tourism business staff.
Businesses should ensure proper training for their employees to provide top-notch service for guests. Failure to do so can result in catastrophe should problems arise. For instance, staff should be trained to assist guests in securing transportation for their trips so that guests can avoid difficulty throughout their experience.
Must-Have Topics For Entertainment and Recreation Hospitality Training
The entertainment and recreation sector consists of businesses and organizations that provide services, activities, and events to support their customers’ cultural, recreational, and entertainment interests. Learning hospitality information for staff members working within this sector should involve the following topics.
- Interacting with Guests
- Personalizing Guest Experiences
- Safety and First Aid
- Cleaning and maintaining facility equipment, supplies, and areas
- Explaining regulations, policies, or procedures.
- Providing attraction information to patrons
These important topics should be discussed during hospitality training for the entertainment and recreation sector. Businesses seeking hospitality training for their staff members should look for courses that cover these topics, as failing to do so could have damaging consequences. Should an issue occur, all staff members should be trained to jump into the appropriate actions necessary to rectify the problem and maintain quality service for the business’s patrons.
Our Favorite Hospitality Courses
There is a wide range of hospitality courses available for business leaders to choose from for their workers. The best interactive hospitality training programs should ensure that participants complete them by providing certificates to those who pass the course exams. Additionally, you should choose the best course for your business based on your staff’s educational needs and responsibilities.
Below is a list of recommendations for the best available programs that Adia has deemed most successful for hospitality training.
- ServSafe Food Handler Certification: The ServSafe Food Handler Certification course is administered by the National Restaurant Association and is helpful for workers of food and beverage sector businesses. This reputable certification course is for people who wish to learn the basics of food safety. It trains participants in food handler skills and knowledge to safely and efficiently act within their roles.
- Guest Service Gold: Making Connections: The Guest Service Gold: Making Connections training program is offered by the American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute for hospitality employees. The course is designed for hotel employees and accommodation, travel, and tourism workers. It covers information on providing quality service by engaging guests, meeting their needs, and connecting with them to make their experience enjoyable.
- Learn 2 Serve: This online food training is offered through the Learn2Serve program. Learn2Serve is an online program that provides state-approved training courses for individuals and teams and can effectively educate hospitality workforce staff members. Business leaders can visit the website and select their state to view which method is available, as participants’ certifications will apply to their local law’s regulatory food safety certification requirements. Once participants complete the lessons and pass the final exam with a score of at least 70%, they will be given a certificate of completion This Learn2Serve certificate acts as proof that recipients have completed a food safety training course.
- ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification: Another helpful ServSafe course for workers in the food and beverage industries is the ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification course. This interactive course can provide valuable training for all industry positions, regardless of their managerial status. Participants will learn about food safety, collaboration, and team leadership lessons. The course also teaches participants essential skills and information to safely perform their job duties and keep customers and workers satisfied. Upon completing the course, students will receive a certificate confirming their sufficient understanding of this subject. ServSafe Certifications can qualify as official verifications of food safety knowledge and training.
- eFood Handlers: This food handler certificate online program is offered through eFood Handlers, a national, ANSI-accredited provider of food safety training courses. The inexpensive food handling class has resources to ensure quality training through videos and hospitality learning exercises. The class can be completed conveniently as an online and mobile-friendly course. Gaining certification by taking an eFood Handlers program course requires that students complete the class and pass the exam.
- ServSafe Alcohol Certification: The ServSafe Alcohol Certification course provides training for participants who handle and serve alcohol through their jobs. The interactive course teaches participants responsibility in handling and creating alcoholic beverages and outlines proper techniques and procedures to ensure safety in workplaces that serve and sell alcohol. The course can be helpful for staff members within hospitality sectors who work with or around alcoholic beverages. Some jobs that may benefit from this certification include bartenders, servers, stewards, hosts, and bouncers.
- ServSafe Workplace Certification: The ServSafe Workplace Certification course provides lessons and information to participants to teach workplace safety standards. Professionals in the food and beverage hospitality sector will learn beneficial information and techniques from this course that will enable them to maintain a safe and efficient work environment. Within the course, participants will gain knowledge of many subjects important for businesses within the food and beverage sector, like safety practices and etiquette in the workplace.
- ServSafe Allergens: This ServSafe Allergens course trains participants on allergens and best practices within the workplace that staff members should adhere to to ensure customer safety. The online course can be especially helpful for workers responsible for creating, serving, and handling food in the hospitality industry. The ServeSafe Allergens Certification verifies proper knowledge and skills for industry professionals to ensure safety and responsibility regarding allergens in their work.
Get Trained Hospitality Workers From Adia’s On-Demand Staffing Platform
Providing your staff with the proper training and expertise within their roles can help you ensure the quality of your hospitality business. A service is only as good as the person providing it, so each of your workers should be educated and able to deliver excellent service to your business patrons.
If you are looking to hire new staff members and wish to skip the hassle of ensuring their training, look no further than Adia’s on-demand staffing service. The Adia staffing platform ensures the delivery of fully trained, reliable staff for all hospitality sector roles. In addition, Adia matches employers with pre-vetted workers in their area. So whether you are looking for an NYC staffing agency or a Chicago staffing solution, Adia’s got you covered!